Thursday, January 24, 2008

Blast From the Past

This was going to be a "Question of the Day" but, I wanted to expand on it. I went to high school at a school where I knew no one. This school is a K-12 school. It even has daycare so, one could potentially go there from infancy to 18 years old. I did not. I went to a Catholic School from grades K-8 then, when all my friends went to other Catholic schools or the local public schools, I chose my school.


This is the school where I met Sarah. Hi Sarah! ::Waving:: Here's the thing, I left school at the very beginning of my senior year on my doctor's orders. I got sick with mono my sophomore year. More specifically, I was diagnosed on my sixteenth birthday (January 17, 1997). I was very sick with it for a long time. It compromised my immune system and messed it up for forever. I ended up in the hospital for a week in April.


I began getting horribly debilitating migraines with aura in November of my Junior year. I had all of the types of auras- visual, sensory, even going out of my mind. I was rarely in school and the stress of it all was a lot for me and my parents. Some of my teachers and some of my peers were not helpful or understanding and that was also a problem. I ended up studying from home through LSU correspondence courses and getting a GED.


I got my diploma from my local public school and it was in the year that I would've graduated anyway- 1999. When I left school I had a 3.5 average. I took my ACTs (we don't do SATs in LA) in 7th grade and in 11th. In 11th I scored an overall 29 (a 31 in English which is one of my biggest accomplishments!!!) and even still, I had a huge complex about the GED. Eventually, I got over it.


I tell people I graduated in '99 because I did. I tell people I graduated from the school I went to when asked because it's the school I went to and it's easier than telling my entire life story. I never attended the school on my diploma so, that would be silly.


Lindsey and I were talking about high-school reunions the other night. I graduated a year ago next year. Lindsey graduated the year after me but, a friend of ours has her 10 year this year. Here's the thing- I (probably) won't even have a reunion. I didn't graduate from my school. It's 100% fine with me because I would not go. The only people I care to see or know are Sarah (and I know her and what she's up to) and my other friend from there, Leslie. I miss her. I don't know where she is but, she took my leaving hard. I was not sensitive about it with her and she was hurt. We have communicated in 10 years but, not in a while.


Lindsey feels the same way. No interest in seeing those people again. Nothing in common with them and no desire to spend a fake evening with them. But, the husbands- different story! Lindsey's husband is a little older than she is and his school had an entire weekend of events planned. They went to everything! He dragged her around to everything and showed her everything.


Luke graduated from a very, very small school that also went from K-12. He was Mr. Popular, played every sport, was on the State Champion football team 2 years, partyed ever weekend (and some weeknights)... You know. He will want to go. He is still really good friends with "the boys." YAY ::insert sarcasm::


My question-

Have you been to a high school reunion? Will you go? Why?

Labels: , , , , ,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Books I've Read or am Reading





My Archives

April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010





View My Stats

follow shoeaddict17 at http://twitter.com

Butterfly Kisses Design