Thursday, May 3, 2007

The "Every Women Should" List

Gather 'round, dolls. This is a very important read! It's my list of 5 things every women should know!

1) A basic grasp of the English language- I will admit that I am a terrible speller. Now, with that out of the way, I really hate to see an otherwise intelligent person use incorrect grammar. By now, it is important that you are able to use the words there/their/they're, here/hear & to/too/two correctly in a sentence. Also, it's important to know the diffence between take/bring, sit/set & lay/lie. If you are confused, ask someone! As I said, it only makes you look unintelligent when using incorrect grammar, the wrong word, a preposition at the end of a sentence and such. I know I hate the fact that I can't spell. It makes me feel very self conscious, especially as a writer! Thank God for spell check. Funny enough, my spell check doesn't work on the blog so be easy on me. Let me know when I misspell words. Honey, I'm not saying I'm perfect at all.

2)What looks good on you... and what doesn't- It's very important to me to be stylish. You won't catch me in public wearing acid wash jeans with pleats, tight rolled at the bottom with thick scrunch down socks and high tops. But, as much as I love trends and fashion, I believe very much that you should wear what flatters your body. Trends are great but, not all of them look great on everybody. Also, there are things that will always look good- clothes that fit and are well kept. This is 100% something I learned from my mother. I'm a plus-sized girl and "skinny jeans" or mini skirts won't do for me. I will look much better in an outfit that fits- even if I don't like how large the size. At 26, I'm proud to say that I have a "look", though. That is to say, those people who know me well could go somewhere and see something and say, "that is soo Kristen!" I love that about me. Truly figure out what works for your body type and work with that. Don't get hung up on the number 'cause you know that nobody wants to see your size 8 ass in a size 6!

3)MANNERS- This is huge! HUGE! This is a very big deal for me and I think some manners have gone by the wayside, and shouldn't have. Be polite! Learn what respect is and get some- for yourself and for others. Then, please teach it to your children. It amazes me the lack of self respect that some children have for themselves,especially young girls. And maybe I'm old-fashioned but, I believe in saying "yes ma'am" & "yes sir". And saying "please" & "thank you". And while I'm on the subject of "thank you"- (mom & Lindsey, you knew this was coming, I know!) thank you cards are not out of style. They are still required. When someone goes out of their way for you or buys you (or your child) a present, send a thank you card. It doesn't have to be a big fancy card and it doesn't have to say much. Sometimes an email is appropriate. An acknowledgement is ALWAYS required. Also, proper handshakes (not wimpy limp ones), table manners, and such are equally important. Put your napkin in your lap. Sit up. Don't blow your nose or fix your hair at the table. Please. Thank You.

4)Know yourself & love her- This is a very difficult place for people to get. Lots of folks spend half (most) of their lives trying to "find themselves"... where the hell they all are, I don't know, usually backpacking through Europe! I think it's so vital to begin to examine the labels you've been given your entire life and see what is real and what isn't. Also, see what they mean and what is positive, what's negative and what just is. My experience with this has been eye opening and on going. From birth, I was "dramatic", "center of attention", "difficult", "loud", "never could be alone or entertain myself", "very intelligent", & "advanced". Of course, it's BECAUSE I was intelligent and advanced (walking at 9 mos, talking from birth, reading and writing at 4) that I was difficult. And I didn't just go in my room and play alone. I had to have an audience. Fast-forward to now and I'm not quite all those things anymore. I am still dramatic but am no longer in need of an audience. I like to be alone and actually need time for me. I am who I am and that's ok. It took me a long time to realize that and to understand that as I got older the negative parts of some of my personality traits could be turned into postives. I really am starting to learn about myself and liking who I've met.

5)Read at least one (real) book- I am serious! By 25, every woman should read at least one book with chapters, no pictures, an interesting plot... There is something out there for everyone, I promise. I wish so much that I could say that every woman should read at least abook a year. Actually, it's true. I think it's important to read because it cultivates a vocabulary and it keeps your brain working. You don't have to read Faulkner, Proust, Dickens, or Austen. There are great "chick-lit" books that are funny and relatable. They are not the sex housewife crotch grabber Harlequin books. Books published by Red Dress Inc are great! If you want a book DO NOT BUY ONE!!! I have a freakin library. I have funny, murder mysteries, classics, novels, you name it. Read something! Send me your address and I'll send you a book(s) that are brand new. P.S. Read your Bible, too!

That's my list but, if I think of more that are this important believe me, I'll let you know!



~money doesn't buy CLASS~

Labels: , , ,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Books I've Read or am Reading





My Archives

April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010





View My Stats

follow shoeaddict17 at http://twitter.com

Butterfly Kisses Design